Many different types of kids’ reading lights are on the market today. From LED to Incandescent, there is a light for every child! Let’s focus on some of the most popular styles and how they work for children.
What should you consider when deciding which one to purchase? For example: What color light would your child prefer? Would they like a wearable light or a clip-on style?
different types of kids reading lights
When kids read in the evening, they need a little extra light. The best one is the one your child likes the most and can reach!
Some kids prefer to lie down and read. Others lean back in their chair or bed with the book over them. A desk lamp is great for this because it can be adjusted, so kids don’t have to keep moving around themselves just to let more light shine on the page they’re reading.
Clip-on booklights are an option, too. With adjustable intensity options ranging from very low (to save battery life) all the way up to high, kids can easily find the perfect light for their reading needs.
Don’t forget that kids are very visual learners! The more kids are able to see the words on a page, the easier it is for them to understand what they’re learning and retain information better.
With adjustable lighting options, kids’ books can be read at any time of day or night. The right reading light will help children who learn best by seeing things up close and those who have trouble focusing when there’s too much going on around them (like siblings running through the room while trying to study)!
As far as kids’ reading lights go, there are three basic types:
- Clip to Book
- Clip to Table/Headboard
Best kids reading lights: clip to book
Strengths: Fits on any book, lightweight, and easy to use.
Weaknesses: Most lighting is concentrated on the book with an obstructed view of the surrounding area, which might not work for larger books.
- Soft Light & 3 Different Settings- Vekkia reading lights give off a gentle, calming light that’s ideal for night reading and falling asleep quicker. This book light has 3 brightness modes.
- Great Quality & Lightweight– This light is 2.15 oz. and super lightweight.
- Eye-care Soft Diffused Light– Easily lights up 2 full pages of any size book. This night reading lamp comes with a SECURE PADDED CLAMP AND INFINITELY FLEXIBLE NECK allowing your child to position & focus light exactly where they want it.
- Rechargeable & Great Battery Life– Enjoy 20 HOURS of reading without charging. 3 power modes to choose from. Micro-USB connector CABLE included.
- Multipurpose– It can be used as a nightlight to help your child walk safely when they get up during the night.
- 7 Led & 9 Color Temperature-This kids’ reading light can increase reading enthusiasm! This light is equipped with 7 upgraded smd leds with a life span of more than 50,000 hours. 9 different color temperature modes!
- 9 Brightness Modes to Choose-9 color temperatures x 3 brightness settings (Low, Medium, High ), You can adjust 9 different kinds of brightness levels dimmable by one button, which is on the head of the reading light.
- Rechargeable & Long-lasting Lighting-The battery life is great. Usb rechargeable with a built-in lithium battery that can last up to 25 hours of use (at low brightness setting). At high brightness setting, the reading light can last up to 5 hours lighting time.
- Convenient Design-Power Indicator-Vavofo’s reading light has a humanized design. There is a power indicator on the reading light, so you’ll know the battery level at any given time.
- 360°Flexible Goose Neck & Non-slip Clip Design-Vavofo’s reading light has a 360 degree adjustable neck with a multi use non-slip clip, which allows your child to position the light exactly where they need it, creating the perfect private reading space for them while they read in bed, in a college dorm, or on a plane, train, or bus. It can also be placed on the tabletop, work surface, etc. It’s lightweight, portable, & travel-friendly.
- Flexible Neck & Battery Operated Reading Kids Book Light-The book reading light’s neck can be rotated 360 degree for any direction your child needs. One mini book light is powered by two small button cell batteries.
- Bright Enough for Reading in Bed-10 Lumens bright lighting, nature white light. Built-in 2 upgraded leds can last longer lighting. More energy saving!
- Clip on Book Reading light-Clip on the book for reading in bed. It’s convenient for kids and students.
- Great for travel– One (1) Energizer Rechargeable LED Book Light.
- Small & compact-Clip on book light is easy to pack on trips.
- USB Rechargeable-A great personal flashlight for reading and travel.
- Adjustable Brightness Level-Adjust the brightness of this rechargeable flashlight from 10 to 100 lumens.
- Long-Lasting Charge-LED reading light runs for 5 1/2 hours on High and fully recharges in 4 hours.
- Points where you need it-LED light features a flexible neck to direct the beam.
Best kids reading lights: wearable
Strengths: The pro to wearable kids’ reading lights that go around the neck is that it is hands-free. This means your child can read in bed without having to hold the book up.
Weaknesses: It is not very bright and can be lost easily.
- SUPER BRIGHTNESS & EYE CARING– Equipped with 4 flicker-free and blue light-free LEDs, it provides your child enough brightness to do book reading and prevents eye strain. Each head owns its separate switch for 3 brightness levels, and it’s dimmable.
- Rechargeable & Long-Lasting– Enjoy wireless reading time up to 40 HOURS without charge. (Varies with brightness and usage.) Standard micro-USB CABLE included.
- Comfortable to Wear– Ultra-Soft Silicone maximizes wearing comfort, even for several hours. Ergonomic neck around design, fits neck line. The touching part equipped with a soft pad.
- 3 Color & 6 Brightness Adjustable– 3 useful color temperature modes: yellow, warm white, and cool white. Each head owns an independent switch for 3 brightness levels, and it’s dimmable. Your child can choose a comfortable setting as they wish for reading.
- Rechargeable & Long-Lasting-USB Type-C rechargeable, which is reversible and thus easier to plug in compared with other Micro-USB. Up to 80 hours (general reading, single head) of powerful, non-diminishing brightness from the included premium rechargeable battery.
- Eye Caring & Ergonomic Design-No flickering and blue light filter design with advanced LED beads. No eye strain any more for both kids and adults. The arms are supple and adjustable so your child can get the angle most comfortable to them. Ergonomic neck around design, and it is totally hands-free!
- 3 MODES EASILY ADJUSTABLE-This kids reading light has 3 brightnesses (white, warm, and mixed light). Each arm has independent switch for 3 levels.
- COVENIENTLY RECHARGEABLE WITH USB CORD-The light comes with built-in rechargeable battery and USB cord. The huge capacity battery makes long-lasting lighting time. No need to buy and replace extra batteries.
- ADJUST FLEXIBLE ARMS DIRECTION/HEIGHT EASILY TO WHERE YOU WANT IT TO GO-The light is covered with rubber material, smooth and soft. The flexible moveable arms make any angle of the light adjustable. Your child can bend it and twist it to different directions and fit it to different size and head (for kids).
You might also like Gift Ideas for Kids Who Love to Read.
CLIP-on DESK / HEADLAMPS for kids
Strengths: One advantage of booklights that clip to desks or headboards is that they are very easy to use. You simply clip them onto the desk or headboard, providing a steady light that is perfect for reading. They are also very affordable, and most models are very durable.
Weaknesses: One downside of these lights is that they can be a bit too bright for some kids.
- Amber Light & Eye Protect Function-Amber Book Light that is free of blue light to reduce eye strain. The round head LED book light simulates natural light and diffuses reflection, reducing multiple shadows. It has a clear view, no flash, and no glare.
- Memory Function & 5 Brightness Modes-Memory Function: Always remembers the brightness last used. When turned on again, the light will return to the previous setting. 5 different brightness modes suit your child for different reading environments.
- 360° Flexible Gooseneck-Reading Light with 360° flexible neck allows your child to bend and twist to the exact position they like and won’t be shaky when they move the book. Its small size and compact design also make it easy to carry on.
- USB Rechargeable-The booklight’s built-in battery powers depending on the brightness level (1-5) and can be used for 3-40 hours.
- 30 ILLUMINATION MODES : iVict LED Clip ring light featured with 3 color temperature: warm light, warm–white light, and white light. Each lighting mode has 10 brightness dimming levels.
- EYE PROTECTION: iVict lights feature 24 premium LED chips, max output 800 lumen. Acrylic round panel surface emitting soft light of non-ghosting and non-flickering, helps to eliminate the visual fatigue caused by the stroboscopic effect of traditional light sources. Clip design don’t take up a ton of room on your desk but light up your reading area.
- 360°FLEXIBLE & USB POWERED: Flexible gooseneck that enables you to adjust the kids reading light up to any viewing angle with ease and to direct the light wherever you want. Easy to plug the USB cable into any available USB port (laptop/ desktop/ power bank/ car charger) to power the booklamp.
- MEMORY FUNCTION: The light can automatically remember the last mode/brightness setting of your child’s last usage. When your child turns it back on, the last mode/brightness setting are retained for next use. If your child presses the on / off button for 2 seconds, the blue light flashes and the clamp lamp automatically turns off after 1 minute.
- Eye Protection Lamp: 16 high-brightness eye-protecting LED bulbs, soft and non-flicker, anti-glare.
- Adjustable 3 Levels of Brightness: By the sensitive touch buttons, the light of brightness can be adjusted to 3 levels of brightness. It is suitable for reading, writing, and work, etc.
- 265-color Night Light: Touch and slide to adjust the color, long press to automatically change the color. The warm colors help children sleep, Besides, a rich color environment can help cultivate and stimulate kids’ intelligence and creativity.
- 360° Multi-angle Rotating Lamp: The soft silicone gooseneck can be rotated 360° to meet lighting at different heights and angles.
- USB Rechargeable Desk Lamp: With a safe large-capacity lithium battery, the desk lamp can be used for reading or studying a long time (up to 3-4 hours), while the night light for sleeping can reach 8 hours. It can be powered by computer, USB socket, power bank power supply, etc.
What Light Color is Best for Reading?
There is no single best color for reading, as people have different preferences. Some like cooler colors like blue or green, while others prefer warmer colors like red or yellow. Ultimately it comes down to what makes you comfortable and helps you focus the most. Experiment with different colors to see what works best for you.
For kids, the best light color for reading is often a cool blue. This color is calming and helps kids focus on the task at hand. Blue light is also less likely to cause eye strain than other light colors. If your child is having trouble concentrating while reading, try using a blue light source to see if it makes a difference.
If you’re looking for a light color to help you relax while reading, try using a warm yellow or red. These colors are known to be calming and can help you wind down after a long day. Yellow and red light sources are also less likely to cause eye strain than other light colors, so they’re a good choice if you’re looking for something easy on the eyes.
You might also like How to Create an Amazing Home Study Space.
It can feel like an overwhelming task if you need to buy kids’ reading lights. There are so many different types and manufacturers to choose from! We hope this list of the best kids reading lights helps you make your decision.